Medical Monday: Medical disaster kits for hurricane season
Having a disaster kit ready with food and water is crucial during hurricane season. Emergency officials recommend a 7-day supply of food and water. While many people are familiar with those recommendations, you might not consider having a medical disaster kit prepared as well.
Items to consider in a medical disaster kit include:
- 7-day supply of prescription medications
- Non-prescription pain relievers and antacids
- Copies of insurance card
- Names and numbers of physicians
- Important medical history documentation
- Glasses or contact lenses
- Personal hygiene items or needed medical equipment
- Feminine hygiene items
- First aid kit
If you have any questions about what medical items you might need during a disaster, reach out to your physician ahead of an approaching storm.